Brian Wilson Kernighan
- Unix user name: bwk
- Commands written: pic, eqn with Lorinda Cherry, ditroff, m4
- Languages created:
- Favorite books: The Mythical Man Month, The Elements of Style by Strunk and White, How to Lie With Statistics.
- Text editor of choice: Sam.
Brian Kernighan is probably the best technical writer in the history of computer science.
- Software Tools (1976 with PJ Plauger)
- Software Tools in Pascal (1981 with PJ Plauger)
- The C Programming Language (aka ‘K&R’, ‘The C Bible’, etc.) (1978, 1988 with Dennis M. Ritchie)
- The Elements of Programming Style (1974, 1978 with PJ Plauger)
- The Unix Programming Environment with Rob Pike. (1984)
- The AWK Programming Language (1988 with Al Aho and Peter J. Weinberger)
- The Practice of Programming with Rob Pike. (1999)
- AMPL: A Modeling Language for Mathematical Programming, 2nd Ed. (2003 with Robert Fourer and David Gay)
Papers and Articles
- Program Design in the UNIX Environmen (aka *cat -v Considered Harmful“) with Rob Pike.
- A Descent into Limbo - An introduction to the Limbo programming language.
- Timing Trials, or, the Trials of Timing: Experiments with Scripting and User-Interface Languages with Christopher J. Van Wyk.
- Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming Language.